[volt-nuts] JJ standards and the 3458A

Tom Knox actast at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 20 13:08:31 EST 2014

As I said in an earlier post it does not require calibration, but set up and operation are beyond the difficulty of most equipments  calibration procedure. But great advances have been made as can be seen in Dave's quote below.
“The only problem with those (Past JJ's) is that they require an expert PhD
physicist to operate,” Rudman says. “We wanted a standard that was
considerably easier to use. If dissemination of the new, automated
system proceeds as envisioned, then within our lifetimes there will no
longer be a need for voltage transfer standards that have to be shipped
off periodically for re-calibration. We can make primary standards,
programmable from 0 to 10 volts, which are simple and cheap enough that
every lab can have one. This is real now.”
This "Now" you see in the photos is actually an AC JJ that will provide variable DC and AC signals.
http://www.metas.ch/LesHouches/downloads/talks/16_Benz.pdf

http://www.nist.gov/pml/div686/devices/automated-voltage-standard-ready.cfm

Enjoy

Thomas Knox