[volt-nuts] Buying HP-3458A

acbern at gmx.de acbern at gmx.de
Sun Jul 6 04:45:51 EDT 2014

I recently bought a non-working 3458, so faced the same problem. it was a relatively old unit, and I asked agilent germany (where I live) for a standard repair quote. they answered they would not give a fix price, they would evaluate the costs once received. it may have been linked to the age of the unit (SN arround 3k). I would therefore think that in other places in europe the response may be similar. it may be differnt in the US.
I determined the A/D board was faulty, and I did a check on that, it would have been considerably cheaper to just replace this. so for me, since I am also calibrating the unit myself, it would anyway have been a bad deal. fortunatelly I could fix the a/d myself, so could save this as well. given my buy price and list price for the a/d baord, it would otherwise probably have been a no so good deal. so I would say there is really some risk involved buying an old gear. also, keep in mind, boards may work but still be out of spec. so you may need a new A/D board just to figure out later that the ac board is not within specs either.
key I guess is that the error messages give you a reasonable understanding whats wrong. find out the cost of this board, and if thats ok in total it may make sense, but you still have quite a risk as the other items may have an issue as well. if a unit is completely dead, I would probably not buy. as far as i know you cannot buy a new PU board allone, you need to send it in to repair (thats what agilent germany states on ther parts list side), and then it may be very costly if other stuff it broken too.