[volt-nuts] Buying HP-3458A

J. L. Trantham jltran at att.net
Tue Jul 8 13:23:23 EDT 2014

Randy,

Yes, that is my understanding.  The person who would be able to definitively answer this question is Gary Bierman at Agilent at the Loveland Calibration Lab.  A very knowledgeable person regarding the 3458A.  I had a long talk with him before undertaking the purchase of my 3458A's.  I wound up with three 3458A's for about the price of one new one.  All three 3458A's turned out to be functional with no failures.  All three were of similar 1990's to early 2000's vintage with the same major components.  Two were HP and one was Agilent, all made in the US.  I had no Malaysian units.

I removed the three Dallas chips in each of them, installed sockets, and installed new Dallas chips that I programmed with the data from their respective removed chips.  A total of 9 Dallas chips for the three units.

I also removed the single EPROM in each of them, installed a socket, and updated the firmware to the latest version I could find.

I managed to lose the CAL data from one of the units by, I think, trying to read it while still warm from the unsoldering process.  I calibrated that unit using some 'home standards' and a recently calibrated Solartron 7081 as the 'transfer standard'.

I then sent the units in for Agilent Calibration, all three of which passed.  Then I was able to avail myself of their 'service agreement' for each of the units.

They all agree very closely when measuring my now somewhat upgraded 'home standards'.

They are truly impressive units.

Good luck.

Joe