[volt-nuts] Matched resistors

Andreas Jahn Andreas_-_Jahn at t-online.de
Fri Jul 18 01:37:30 EDT 2014

Hello Randy,

I am using the LTC1043 in 1/2 VIN or 1/3 VIN configuration.
A matching of the caps is not necessary.
In the 1/2 VIN or 1/3 VIN configuration a matching would give
the advantage that the settling time of the cirquit is reduced.
But in 2* VIN or inverting configuration a matching gives no advantage.
So perhaps it is better to put a 1/2 VIN divider into a feedback loop.

The most important point: you will need a low leakage buffer amplifier
at the output.
The caps should be low leakage foil capacitors. (polypropylene would be
best).
The ESR is negligible against the switch resistance of around 1000 Ohms
And dielectric absorption would also affect only settling time.

In 1/2 VIN configuration I am using cheap small mylar capacitors (WIMA
MKS02)
(isolation time constant is given only with  >1250 sec (3000 sec typ)).
Buffer amplifier is a LTC1050.
The circuit is very stable over temperature (10 - 40 deg C).
The absolute amplification error is usually some ppm lower than exact
2:1 value.
(depends somewhat on the pinning which is used so I am not shure wether
the pins are mixed up regarding the charge compensation)

So I dont know wether the ±1 ppm is more a stability figure than a
absolute value.
Even polypropylene capacitors do not change the amplification error.

With best regards

Andreas