[volt-nuts] 732b transformer replacement

Todd Micallef tmicallef at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 18:03:52 EDT 2014

Willy,

Have you contacted Fluke about getting a replacement transformer? I would
guess it would cost a lot, but one of your other alternatives is to buy the
external battery pack when it pops up on fleabay. The last one cost about
$700, but I bought mine for less than that. That would give you the the
correct part.

Your other choice is to feed the 12V from the 9pin adapter. You can get
yourself a lab grade power supply or build your own and use it until you
decide. The manual states on page 4-13 that you can supply an external
12-15vdc to power the unit. If you contact Fluke, they could probably give
you the recommended source settings for the rear jack. You only need to
worry once you decide to send it in for cal, which could be whenever you
feel the 732B is stable.

If you need me to take any measurements from my unit, I will either take it
apart or dig out the readings I wrote down last year.

By the way, my 732B-7001 had a problem too. The regulator U500 shorted from
input to output putting 20+ volts across the battery. The battery sizzled
and failed. You might want to check that circuit too in case there are more
hidden jems.

Good luck these units are nice and easier to tote than a 732A.

Todd