[volt-nuts] Dekavider DV411 repair and question

Hendrik Dietrich don_hendi at gmx.de
Sat Jun 21 15:00:08 EDT 2014

> Hendrik,
> I didn't catch that you were asking about the interconnecting wiring.
> That is likely to be the same material as used to make the resistors
> (Manganin).
Sounds plausible.

> That would maintain the low tempco of the total unit, and avoid the
> comparatively large resistance drifts of copper wire.
As I wrote in my "If I understand right" message."
> Manganin is hard to solder without a flux that can remove the surface
> oxide that forms on manganin wire.  Flux used for soldering stainless
> steel might be a good one to try.  Just be sure to clean the joints
> very well after using it.

Fortunately the previous owner kept the material when he modified it.
> The old ESI standards are very nice instruments to have.  I have an
> old ESI decade capacitance box built like the Dekavider and Dekapot
> units.  It's quite accurate; good enough to allow me to evaluate
> RCL-type multimeters.

Besides that Dekavider which was part of a power supply i have a also
recently ebayed SR1010 that was the cheapest to get and needed some TLC
but the 34401A at work is not really a good instrument to check it, and
i have my "noble thing" a Dekavider RV722 which I use quite frequently
for ratio measurements, simply considering it ok for me as i was not yet
able to show any problems with it (HP3456A and 34401A in ratio mode are
both happy.)

> Cheers,
> Dave M

Cheers