[volt-nuts] A Fluke 732A

Tom Knox actast at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 9 05:32:37 EDT 2014

Hi Charles;
Perhaps you are correct. I work in the research area of metrology. I just assumed a number of labs have multi-cell standards like the Wavetek 4910 or Fluke 7010s or 734A and if recently cal'ed they should be more then capable of calibrating a 732A for home use. True the documentation is not there but does that matter in a majority of Volt-Nut applications. And if you ship VS local calibration you may have documentation stating lower uncertainty, but a local cal may actually be more accurate.  I also think the number of JJA's is larger then most think. Just this week a couple labs added 10 Volt Programmable Josephson voltage standards capable of producing AC and DC voltages. http://www.wmi.badw.de/teaching/Lecturenotes/AS/AS2013_Chapter6_Slides.pdf
Again my point is do you need the documentation, and if not there are alternatives. Especially in a non temperature and humidity controlled environment that will affect both your standards and DUT. Don't get me wrong I am all about documentation and repeatability but not everyone needs or has the $300,000+ for a 10 Volt Programmable Josephson voltage standard. Again I float the idea of Volt-Nuts creating their own network to compare standards locally after a recent calibration.

Thomas Knox