[volt-nuts] Batch of old reference zeners

Andreas Jahn Andreas_-_Jahn at t-online.de
Mon Mar 10 03:12:21 EDT 2014

Hello Bob,

the instrument will be your least worries.
with 20-80ppm/K you will need a very well stabilized (<0.1K) temperature
environment for the references.
Otherwise you will not detect ageing but the temperature of your
environment.

A volt nut would only use the LM329 from the list (buried zener).
The others are bandgap references with much larger ageing drift.
But to detect ageing after some 100 hrs you will need a well stabilized
current source (< 0.1% drift during setup)
or a even better voltage source (<0.05% over temperature and ageing) and
a rather stable resistor for each reference in the setup.

If you use sockets for the references their drift will outperform the
reference drift if the board is handled (e.g. for measuring)
so you will need to have a (relay-) multiplexer for your instrument.
If you solder the references to a board you will create stress to the
device and this will give a large initial drift after soldering.

with best regards

Andreas