[volt-nuts] 3458a RAM batteries - longer life if unit is continually powered?

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Mar 26 13:58:58 EDT 2014

In message <BC736E8BA2F94F0CB78739D7E04E9D07 at KITCHEN>, "new" writes:

>If the cal constants are in the RAMs and the RAM batteries go dead,
>the 3458 needs to go back to Loveland, right?

The CALRAM can trivially be backed up via GPIB.

The backup can either be written into new NVRAM chips using a programmer
or it can with some difficulty be written back via GPIB.

I've explained the details in previous emails to the list (see archives)
and there is software to do the backup in my "Pylt" github project.

In the meantime, keeping it power on means the battery only drain
by their self-discharge.