[volt-nuts] Voltage Reference.

Andreas Jahn Andreas_-_Jahn at t-online.de
Sat Nov 1 04:34:52 EDT 2014

Hello Dan,

If you look for sub-ppm then also noise or hysteresis might be a issue.
Nearly all good references have around 0.6ppm low frequency noise with
respect to output voltage.
(giving 3uVpp for 5V).

I have tested 2 VRE3050A for noise and one for TC.
In the range of 16-40 deg C average tempco was low (about 8 ppm over
16-40 deg)
(nearly zero around 28 deg C)
but hysteresis at 25 deg was 4 ppm and 0.1-10 Hz noise around 9uVpp.
The second VRE I have only tested for noise which gave also around 9 uVpp.
I do not know if both devices are "mondays" devices since I bought them
at a time shortly after Thaler was sold to APEX.
And current consumption was far below the value of the datasheet.
But for me I decided that they are no good value for money for my needs.

For the same money you get 5 AD586LQ with <3uVpp noise and nearly no
hysteresis in the above temperature range.
Ok perhaps you have to select them for tempco. In my case tempco is
compensated by a microcontroller with a (NTC) temperature sensor.

The ADR4550 suffers like nearly all plastic housings from large
hysteresis and perhaps from humidity sensitivity.
I measured a nearly linear average tempco of -2ppm/K on one sample.
Hysteresis around 16ppm at 25 deg C.
Noise was around 3uVpp like good buried zener devices.

The LM399 that I have tested are far better in T.C. than the 1ppm/K that
are stated in the datasheet.
At least this is true around room temperature (10-40 deg C).
Only noise is rather different from device to device.
Some around the 0.6 ppm others are a factor of 2 or so larger in noise.
So perhaps you will have to select for noise.

Some Info of other features of LM399 (tilting drift, termal isolation)
can be found here:
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/lm399-based-10-v-reference/

If you need low T.C. and low noise there is nearly no way not to use the
LTZ1000
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/ultra-precision-reference-ltz1000/

With best regards

Andreas