[volt-nuts] dark display for 3458

Don@True-Cal truecalservices at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 12:20:49 EDT 2015

The 3458A DISP? command, rather entered from the front panel or via a GPIB Command is not adequately discussed in the User's Manual IMO. There are four numeric values 0,1,2 & 3 plus the ability to enter a string value as mentioned below. All four values are supported via the GPIB, but only 0,1 &2 are valid modes for the front panel DISP? command - the front panel DISP? 3 seems to be accepted and interpreted the same as DISP? 1 (On). The value 0 (Off) seems somewhat pointless and simply places dashes across the display. The value 1 (On) is the default and normal mode. The value 2 (Msg) displays control messages only. These three modes would obviously offer no help to prolonging display life since the display filament would need to remain on. The interesting DISP? 3 (Clr) is the one in question rather is removes power to the display filament providing some help for display life. I'm not sure without actually getting inside and testing if filament voltage is present or not. Checking the schematics for a display filament voltage interrupter might also be a clue, but would still be firmware dependent. I use Agilent VEE for 3458A control and plotting and have provided a dynamic display control using DISP? 0-3 modes and I often leave the display in mode 3 (Clr) for long plot cycles (sometimes weeks). In this mode, the display is completely blank, including no enunciator (sampling) indicators at all. My hope is that the display filaments are off. Anyone know for sure?

Don