[volt-nuts] HP 3458A user-defined keys

STEVE REEVES steve_reeves at bellsouth.net
Thu Apr 23 16:18:33 EDT 2015

OK, using GPIB, I have set up a UDK for NULL, which is good. I have one for MATH OFF. The dB UDK is a little tricky - I can make it convert my readings to dB, but it defaults to a reference of 1 volt so I get dBV. If I do dBm the same happens because the default is a Z=50.
SMATH will allow a different reference to be set, but in my case for dB the reference can be any voltage. I want to read a voltage and call it zero dB for starts. Then when the signal level or frequency is changed I can see the difference. I was thinking a combination of dB and null would do it, like you can using the HP 34401A.
Not quite sure yet, but there may be a way to have a UDK to take a reading, store it in a register, then use SMATH to recall that value as the ref and MATH DB to convert subsequent readings to dB bases on the stored value. Hopefully all this without writing software.

Steve