[volt-nuts] Curious overvoltage event

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Mon Aug 10 10:22:47 EDT 2015

It is a common failure in many switching power supplies to expect that
the power line voltage will snap on quickly, and snap off quickly when
the supply is activated, or deactivated.

If the mains supply hangs around in certain brown out voltage ranges, it
can fool the start up control circuitry into exceeding the ratings on
the bootstrap circuitry, or the inrush limiting circuitry, and toast parts.

Better supplies have timers that make sure that the inrush protection,
or boot strap power only last for the amount of time expected, and
shut down if those values are exceeded.

The usual UPS can be complicit in these failures because they just pass
the mains power through to the load, and don't switch over to inverter power
until a programmed amount of brown out has occurred... if at all.

Basically they pass the crappy brown out power on to the load.

-Chuck Harris