[volt-nuts] plastic caps on 3458A reference board

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Wed Jan 28 17:06:44 EST 2015

John wrote:

>I[t] needs to insulate electrical and thermal and metal would not do well.

Two machined pieces of glass-filled PTFE with holes to pass screws or
plastic rivets through should work pretty well.  You want some
thermal insulation, but not too much (there has to be a heat flow
path to ambient to allow the heater to work at a reasonable fraction
of its capacity), so the thickness of the top part would need to be
right and some experimentation might be required.  I've made a number
of machined parts out of plain PTFE and glass-filled PTFE -- either
one is definitely do-able.

Straight PTFE is subject to cold-flowing, so if you used that some
thought would need to be given to the through-bolts so everything
would stay tight.  Belleville washers are one common solution.  But
glass-filled PTFE is harder and more stable, and is the better choice
for this job.

I've never machined polysulfone, but it is routinely done, so that is
another choice.  It is also available with glass filling.

Once a design was set and programmed, a small CNC mill could zip out
enough parts to fill the next 100 years' volt-nut needs in ten minutes.

For those who haven't seen one, here is a top view of a 3458A
reference board showing the LTZ1000 with its hat
on:
<http://cache.amobbs.com/bbs_upload782111/files_17/ourdev_466753.jpg>.
As Frank noted, the bottom piece (not shown) is very important
because it insulates the thermocouple joints where the part is
soldered to the board.

Best regards,

Charles