[volt-nuts] Fluke 731B

John Phillips john.phillips0 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 02:40:51 EDT 2015

I would never adjust any pots on a working fluke voltage standard. When the
pot moves you introduce more drift.
Just keep track of differences.
By the same token I do not turn off my 3458As as long as the line power is
up.
There was a time I had a rack of 15 3458As running waiting to be sold.
We have a power outage about 1 time per year long enough to trip our julian
date and time clock. We use it to track power up time.

I do not see anyone posting 3458A in stat mode data: mean, SDEV, High, and
Low, Range, and Number of samples over extended time.
then reverse polarity and do it again.
Also DC cal values before and after Auto cal and Keysight cal would be nice
to know.
Also using Before and after cal data from Keysight to correct values.
Do not adjust the Flukes  but keep a spreadsheet of best guess of its value.
Something like  mean of present guess + before cal data correction + after
cal data correction.
Example:
Say you present guess (guess1) is 9.9999468 cal the meter using 9.9999468
and then read the cal var 1 (I think that is the one for the reference
board)
Your as found data should indicate how far off your reference is.  correct
and call that guess2
After you get the meter back read cal var 1 and then use successive
approximation to when caling to get the same value in var 1. That should be
guess3
So new guess is mean (guess1, guess2, guess3).
If you have better confidence in one guess or less confidence in an other
the values could be weighted.
You never really know what the actual value is  a given time but do know it
is changing.  You can guess at it's value like 9.9999468 is just a guess
even if the real value is 9.99994681 or even 9.9999468 with what we have
you just cannot know for sure. There can alway be another digit.

Anyone want to poke some holes in what I wrote?
Does anyone have a better way to come up with a Cal value for a fluke 10
volt reference without sending it out for calibration?
Where could send it to get a better calibration and what would it cost?

*John Phillips*