[volt-nuts] "*WAY* too expensive for even Keysight to redesign"

John Phillips john.phillips0 at gmail.com
Thu May 7 17:59:48 EDT 2015

There is no point of change for change sake. What would I get that I do not
have now?

If it was faster and more stable (cut the temp coefficient and noise and
have a 1 ppm / year drift rate) it may be enough for some to justify but
not me.

Maybe if they could put a 3458A in a 3457A box with the multiplexer setup
the 3457A has there could be some interest but they would still have to
give me more stability and accuracy and make it sample faster. In short
make it more accurate and more channels.

I just do not see any mass market for such a device.

The other upgrade problem you have is a lot of these units are hard wired
into tests that have been running the same software for years and all that
would have to be certified. The test documents have 3458A listed as the
meter to use and it takes a lot of work to get someone to sigh off on a
different meter even if it is better.

There are cases where old 4.5 digit meters live because it is more cost
effective to replace the old meters with the same old model than to get
approval for  a new lower cost meter.
​