[volt-nuts] Keithley triax cables, 6011 and 1506/1507

Andrea Baldoni erm191ba3 at ermione.com
Sun Nov 22 05:36:40 EST 2015

On Sat, Nov 21, 2015 at 12:43:07PM -0500, Todd Micallef wrote:

> I did purchase a MS3106-E16-11P that fits it perfectly. The original
> connector appears to be gold plated(?) and the MS connector is silver
> plated. It is unknown which "copper alloy" is in the MS contacts.  I have
> had other projects so I have not had time to determine how well the MS
> connector compares to the original while shorted.

Hello Todd. Thank you, I will buy the connector, then perhaps in the future
I may be able to find the original one.

Brian suggested the 1507A cable, it's in effect marked as discontinued by
some sellers while you can still order it from others, but anyway it's about
500 USD and actually it's too much.

> There is a Keithley 140 up for sale on the usual auction site. I cannot
> find the manual for it, but maybe the seller will be willing to part it
> from the meter? It has been listed for quite a while. It would be a matter
> of the seller confirming the part number stamped on the edge of the
> connector.

The seller answered me and he said the cable goes with the meter...

> As for solder, Keithley recommends Sn/Ag4 solder for the 2182A connectors.

I have the usual SnAg3Cu0.5 and in everything I can find there is still 0.5Cu.
However I saw that the SnAg4 is used for the assembly of solar panels strings
so I know where to ask.

> I am sure that discussion (low thermal solder) has been had here in another
> thread.

I think in the past has been concluded that an adequate replacement is Sn10Pb90
but it's probably harder to find than SnAg4 because of RoHS.
I will try to crimp the wire and avoid the matter completely.

Best regards,
Andrea Baldoni