[volt-nuts] Low-cost voltage reference questions

acbern at gmx.de acbern at gmx.de
Tue Nov 24 03:35:24 EST 2015

Charles and group,
another persons opinion:

I guess the reference to the "standards" means those sold on ebay US. If so, I would think it is a false expectation this would meet 3ppm acc. guaranteed within a year.
There is a lengthy chat in eevblog about it, in case you are not aware, and while the unit typically may not be too bad, it is certainly not seriously a 3ppm guaranteed standard (even in its best version). It starts with the traceability, and goes on with the design and build standard. Details in the blog. In summary, it is not even really spec'ed, also because it can't be (at least not close to what it seems to raise in expectations). But at that price, it would be unfair to expect more than a hobbyist item with relatively unclear real specs. But if you mean another item, let us know, I guess the group would be interested.
Keep in mind, the Fluke 732B is specified/guaranteed to 2ppm per year. There is data available from Fluke about 732B drifts ("Predictability of Solid State Zener References"), and it can be seen how hard it is for them to guarantee 2ppm/year.
So I think your price target and spec expectation ("guaranteed to remain"...) just does not match.

I would think a unit that has a traceable specification to a National Standard (including an error propagation analysis for the factory calibration how to get there), and be within say 5ppm a year, over a defined (limited) temperature range, with a good build standard (CU-TE spades, metal case, EMI filtering, PSU...), targeted at those who cannot afford/do not need a 732B could easily have a fair price of a couple hundred usd.
Other opinions welcome.

Cheers
Adrian