[volt-nuts] Low-cost voltage reference questions

Lars Walenius lars.walenius at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 24 09:51:52 EST 2015

Hello,

My name is Lars Walenius and I live in Sweden. I am new to this forum but a volt nut for decades. I must admit I have to many DIY voltage reference boxes. Some years ago I was fortunate to work with Joe Geller on the SVR-T. For me the SVR-T still is the best 10V hobby reference sold. So it is a pity the AD587LQ isn´t available any more as my opinion is that the reference IC is the most important in a DIY reference.

I can just second what Andreas say. Maybe the comment about metal cans need to be commented. Metal cans are good for humidity but I have seen high long term drifts on LT1031 that I have several powered on for years. Also if power is off for a or two month they go back many ppms. On REF102CM in metal cans (obsolete) I have seen about 5ppm if turned off a longer time. In the same test AD587LQ (obsolete) changed less than a ppm. AD587JQ and AD587UQ are still available but I would not recommend the UQ as my and others observations are in the 10ppm/C class ( probably due to adaption to a very wide temp range). I have several JQ with reasonable (less than 5ppm/C that can be compensated with NTC) but you should check noise (LF). I have seen several ppm p-p on some. So by selection I think the AD587JQ is the best 10V ref available today (from eg Digikey).

Charles, I have to say thank for all your good comments both here and in time nuts but if the 130USD ref is the D105 on Ebay have a look on EEVBlog and my humidity tests. The 2ppm ref has 20ppm drift for a change 40 to 90%RH in just a week!!

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/calibratory-d-105-dc-precision-voltage-reference-standard/630/

Lars