[volt-nuts] Fluke 720a self calibration repair

Dave M dgminala at mediacombb.net
Sun Sep 27 14:55:41 EDT 2015

I tried to find this style trimmer pot with a wirewound resistance element,
but found that all I could find was the Cermet type.  It appears that
wirewound pots have all been replaced by Cermet. the wirewound pots had a 1W
power rating, whereas the Cermet pots arte only rated at 3/4W.  In the 720A,
the reduced power rating won't be an issue, but in some vintage equipment,
it might be.

I've also tried, to no avail, to find a source for the metal-cased wirewound
trimmer pots used on the K-V divider in some older Fluke differential
voltmeters, such as the models 883A, 885A and 887A.   Does anyone know of a
source for replacements for those pots?   I have an 887A on the shelf that
I'd like to get back to original condition if I could find a couple of that
style trimmer pot.  They're only 2 ohms, making the search even more
difficult.  At this point, my only recourse is to find a defunct donor unit
at reasonable cost, and salvage the parts. Does anyone have a hangar queen
that I could get for shipping charges?  I'd be really happy to get mine back
on the road to health.

Cheers,
Dave M