[volt-nuts] Practical power supply noise testing

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Fri Jul 1 09:14:15 EDT 2016

I've used a pair of minicircuits phase modulators, a low noise OXCO, and a Timepod to do this.The phase modulators work best with about 9V input.The noise of my E3610A's is clearly evident as is the noise of an LM317 based regulator with unbypassed ADJ terminal.To achieve lower system noise a pair of preamps (one per phase modulator) is useful, however the noise need not exceptionally low as cross correlation lowers the effective preamp noise.
Bruce