[volt-nuts] Thermal EMF - more results

Don@True-Cal truecalservices at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 22:43:44 EDT 2016

I will argue that this issue is extremely relevant, especially in low voltage and low resistance measurements. You are correct in your position if the entire junction is in thermal stability. If however, the junction is exposed to a sudden change in temperature, air drafts being the most likely, then your example of copper wire soldered to copper terminal will indeed exhibit thermal EMF due to the difference in thermal mass of the copper wire to solder vs. the solder to copper thermal. Air drafts in the metrology lab is typically the concern in thermal EMF. A simple oscillating fan on the interconnect terminals during a precise, low (1 to 10) ohms, 4-wire, 1 to .01 PPM measurement will convince you. It is also easier to see if graphing the measurement results. The generated thermal EMF increases as the difference in thermal mass increases between the soldered principles in the junction. A #12 copper wire soldered to another #12 copper wire - no concern, even in a draft. A #12 copper wire soldered to a #22 copper wire - no concern if at thermal stability but blow on it and observe.

Regards,
Don