[volt-nuts] Keysight 3458A vs Keithley 2002 8.5 digit multimeters.

John Phillips john.phillips0 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 15:39:33 EDT 2016

We do not keep them powered up for transit.
All the meter gets more stable with age. The reference gets more stable
with burn in.
We store 3458As energised even when we do not plan to use them for a while.
Most 10 year old meters are as stable as the new meters with the high
stability option.
I do not have any stats but quite often we would buy an old meter that had
a old cal sticker and find that 10 volse was still in spec.

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 11:48 AM, Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) <
drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk> wrote:

> On 18 Jul 2016 17:34, "John Phillips" <john.phillips0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Most labs never turn 3458As off. The longer they are on the lower the
> drift
> > rate. I would rather have an 20 year old meter with new batteries than a
> > new meter.
>
> If one buys a used meter, one has no idea if it has been switched on very
> occasionally or on 24/7.
>
> Do you keep your meter powered up during the transit between your lab and
> the cal lab? I would think that quite difficult if you used a courier,  but
> not a problem if it was taken in a car.
>
> Dave.

*John Phillips*