[volt-nuts] LTZ1000 project build

bownes bownes at gmail.com
Wed May 25 21:42:44 EDT 2016

As Dr K said, traceable and usefully calibrated are not necessarily connected.

I can calibrate to any arbitrary standard I like.  That standard need not be traceable if all that is important to me is consistency across all the instruments in my lab.

If I, on the other hand, want to be consistent with someone else's lab, then we need to be traceable to a common source. Thus NIST. I presume most countries have a NIST like organization. How often to they cross check each other?

Accreditation, on the other hand can be, as the good Dr. points out, pretty useless unless the accreditation body is, itself, held to some (professional) standard.

And I'd also love to build one of these if there is enough interest. While I'm sure we can't get enough orders to get the 100pcs discount on the LTZ1000, it would be a great group project and I'd be willing to participate in bringing it to fruition. I'm also sure I can find a calibrated, traceable, reliable 3458 in the area code.

The irony  is that while I'm less than 15Km from the New York State Bureau of Weights & Measures Metrology group, which has all the traceable standards for the state, they cannot do high accuracy for time or voltage. My personal house standards are better than theirs for those two. By a lot. Adding one of these would add a few more orders of magnitude...:)