[volt-nuts] Availability of 3458A in Europe after the end of 2016.

Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Sun Nov 13 05:33:55 EST 2016

On 13 November 2016 at 09:19, Alessandro Saporetti <saposoft at sica-it.com>
wrote:

> Hi all
> Just got back from Electronica in Munich where i did have a small
> conversation with keysight people about 3458A Rohs issue, they have a vague
> idea about when it will kick-in , but where sure about availability of the
> meter in the future.
> Probably they have some kind of workaround to avoid shortage on the
> market. (not that a beast like 3458A goes by the millions)

The problem might be a bit more complicated than just the lead in solder -
see for example the recent discussion about low-EMF from solder with
cadmium in.

As an EU member myself and maker/seller of electronics equipment shall I
> say that EU regulation are at least byzantine and usually you can read it
> from left to right and reverse , so let’s see what happens.

I feel one advantage of the UK leaving the European Union. The regulations
we introduce will not have to have such a large committee for approval, and
don't need to be translated in numerous different languages.

Of course, the other advantage, is I will be able to buy a 3458A if I want
to !!

Dr. David Kirkby Ph.D CEng MIET
Kirkby Microwave Ltd
Registered office: Stokes Hall Lodge, Burnham Rd, Althorne, Essex, CM3 6DT,
UK.
Registered in England and Wales, company number 08914892.
http://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/
Tel: 07910 441670 / +44 7910 441670 (0900 to 2100 GMT only please)