[volt-nuts] Low-cost Josephson Junction Array

Vince Mulhollon vince at mulhollon.com
Thu Oct 20 08:27:48 EDT 2016

I'd agree with, and extend, acbern's remarks

As a pure science experiment and completely inadequate certification
standard you can still have fun with one junction not an array which makes
things enormously cheaper.  Of course this turns it from a calibration lab
experiment to primarily a physics experiment that can also kinda do
comparisons, sort of, poorly.  But running one junction homemade niobium
junction could be an intermediate step on running an array later.  After
the bugs are worked out, swap the single junction for an array and you're
done.

The state of the art in amateur radio microwave work has been rapidly
moving even over just the last decade.  Running a JJ is not really an issue
anymore for advanced ham operators between microwave radio contests.
Serious stuff, but its quite doable now.

I'm not sure what cryonic prices are like in .de but locally liq N2 dewars
are like the cost of a months groceries or a modest fraction of a mortgage
check, liq He dewars are like the cost of a really nice used car, liq N2 is
maybe a tenth the cost of gasoline per volume.  So the cost of filling a
liq N2 dewar is like a night at the bar.  Per liter liq He is maybe the
cost of good wine so filling a 100L dewar is a significant fraction of a
mortgage payment or the cost of a junker used car.  The staggering
difference in price is why you prechill the apparatus with liq N2 and of
course liq N2 freezes well above the temp of liq He so its just SO much fun
to work with (sarcasm).

Cryocoolers are a whole nother problem.  So a contemporary dual pulse tube
crycooler in a research lab on bragging day when cost is no object is like
ten KW of power in, 10001 watts of heat rejected, yeah like one watt of
cooling on the second cryo.  Well, my basement does get cold in the
winter...  So I need insulation that passes less than a watt thermal at a
"basement to liq He" differential in temp... Ouch.  Of course you can do
things like make a bath of cheap liq N2 and pull a vacuum on it so the
differential is only maybe 60K but even so, just getting a watt is an
achievement... And of course even with a decent machine shop the best the
professionals can do in a research lab a couple years ago is not terribly
realistic.  Maybe in 50 years everyone will have a cryocooler in their
basement instead of a deep freeze, but just not today.

Oh and the thermal capacity of liq He is like nothing, so that $1000 of liq
He evaporates when you stare at it harshly.  All cryonic apparatus is
unfortunately ultra high pressure gas apparatus unintentionally because the
vents can freeze over or "stuff" can condense into the insulation, and of
course high pressure gas explosions are highly effective at killing people
so its just an endless pile of headaches, although maybe it can be done?