[volt-nuts] low emf solder

David davidwhess at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 22:09:01 EDT 2016

On Sat, 29 Oct 2016 01:39:12 +0100, you wrote:

>On 28 Oct 2016 15:25, "Juris L" <juris.l at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>I wonder how practical it is to weld test leads, so there's no solder or
>thermal EMF.
>
>I know that this will sound crazy, and probably is, but could one weld
>components to a PCB?
>
>I don't even have the excuse of been drunk or taking drugs,  but I will
>risk ridicule for making the above comment!  Sometimes thinking out of the
>box is useful.
>
>Dave.

This can be done but whether it will help in the general case is
questionable because most parts do not use copper lead frames so the
thermocouple junction will be present whether soldered or welded.

On printed circuit boards, controlling temperature gradients and using
balanced circuits is usually sufficient.