[volt-nuts] low emf solder

NeonJohn jgd at neon-john.com
Sat Oct 29 09:09:06 EDT 2016

On 10/28/2016 04:50 PM, David wrote:
> What would be the proper equipment and procedure?
>
> I could see doing it myself with a fume hood and small crucible except
> just having an ingot of CdSn solder would not be very convenient.

I have a stainless wasist-high stainless table on wheels that I simply
roll outside when I'm doing stuff that could make fumes.  I also use a
respirator, mainly because I have bad lungs.

There are a couple of ways of making the ingot useful.  One is to weld
ends on a hunk of angle iron, position it with the bend down and pour
the solder into it.  When it hardens, you have three edges that you can
shave with a knife to make triangle-shaped "wire".

My method is a tube and rod that fit tightly inside each other.  The
tube is brazed to a large C-clamp and an appropriately sized hole
drilled through the C-clamp foot to make the extrusion orifice.

Lightly oil the inside of the tubing to keep the solder from sticking,
plug the hole with putty or clay and pour the tube about half full with
solder.  Allow to cool.  Extrude the wire by cranking down on the
C-clamp handle.

A small cheater is usually needed.  The closer the tube diameter is to
the hole diameter, the less force that is needed.

John