[volt-nuts] PCBs with ceramic substrates

cheater00 cheater00 cheater00 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 11:36:51 EDT 2017

Hi Rob, thanks for your email.

My take is you want your standards and calibrated equipment to last very
long due to increasing stability, and that is in direct opposition to
making them out of fragile materials, even if they don't get thrown around.
Accidents happen, people trip over, this can't really be helped. I'm no
metrology expert by any degree, it just seems to me that making it even
easier to break your $250k box is a bad idea if it can be wholly avoided by
using a different material that'll meet requirements too.

You're right that it's not unheard of - ceramics were even used in mobile
testing equipment eg by tek - but they didn't know better back then, or
they didn't care because equipment would be phased out before it had chance
to break.