[volt-nuts] Update on 720A

David C. Partridge david.partridge at perdrix.co.uk
Mon Aug 7 18:30:52 EDT 2017

Thanks

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: volt-nuts [mailto:volt-nuts-bounces at febo.com] On Behalf Of Bill Gold
Sent: 07 August 2017 19:22
To: Discussion of precise voltage measurement
Subject: Re: [volt-nuts] Update on 720A

David:

    Ignore my previous post.  In thinking about this while out shopping this morning I know the answer.

    The output resistance of the 720A is about 66k ohms.  Your voltmeter has an input resistance of 10 megohms.  You are simply loading the output of the 720A.  The reason that the 0.1 ratio has about the expected voltage is because the 10 Volt range your voltmeter probably has a very high input resistance.  You are on "autorange" and when the output is set for 0.2 ratio the voltmeter is now on the 20 volt range which is now 10 megohms.

    I get the same results as you do when measuring 0.9 ratio on my setup.
89.920 volts.  Check your 720A by applying 10 volts and then do your ratio checks on the first decade.

    I just haven't used a 720A for a while and I didn't remember about the output resistance.  When you get to become a "well aged citizen" it takes a while to recall things.

Bill