[volt-nuts] Update on 720A

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Tue Aug 8 08:33:48 EDT 2017

Hi Dave,

Fundamentally, any input impedance from your 3458 is going
to throw your 720A out of wack.  the 720A is not supposed to
have even picoamps of loading.... nothing, nada, zip.

I would suggest that before you damage your 720A further,
you read the manual for the 720A and follow the instructions
to the letter.  An HP3458A is not a substitute for a null
detector and a voltage calibrator.

The calibration of a 720A requires that no current, none, zip,
be drawn from the 720A on any port.  It can only be done by
using a voltage calibrator, and a null detector, as a
differential voltmeter.

Remember, and heed my words, *no* current may be drawn from the
720A.

-Chuck Harris