[volt-nuts] Fluke 893A thoughts?/3458A in the SW Chicagoland area/Geller Labs references?

kc9ieq kc9ieq at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 14 16:25:40 EDT 2017

Thanks Andy and all for the replies, I have some more reading to do but may take one of you up on your generous offers.
Very cool idea on the traveling reference!  Not sure I can contribute anything towards the project since my only "good" meter is a recently calibrated 3456A, but may just have to see about getting in on that!  I finally registered on EEVBlog, lots and lots to see and learn there.
In the meantime...  Far as differential voltmeters go for this level of accuracy, is a Fluke 893A really worth going to the trouble of overhauling, or should I keep my eyes open for something just a little better?  I have two of these units, one basically works but is inaccurate, the other has no meter deflection.  The reference diode would likely be a candidate for improvement, but wonder if the rest of the instrument could really take advantage of it.  Thinking thst something a little better, or perhaps just getting/rebuilding a 335A/D would be better bet than the 332B with an external differential meter.
Open to all thoughts, comments, and set-me-straight-isms!
Regards, Chris

Sent from my SMRTphone
-------- Original message --------From: Andy Lawrence <dr.diesel at gmail.com> Date: 8/12/17  7:44 AM  (GMT-06:00) To: Discussion of precise voltage measurement <volt-nuts at febo.com> Subject: Re: [volt-nuts] 3458A in the SW Chicagoland area/Geller Labs