[volt-nuts] GPIB Issue with 3458A

Randy Evans randyevans2688 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 22:24:25 EST 2017

I am hoping some of you experts might be able to assist with a strange
problem i am having trying to make automated measurements using EZGPIB with
an Agilent and an HP 3458A.  I have a program given to me by Martin
Reynolds, which is a variant on the Xdevs noise measurement program.
Martin's program continuously reads the voltage measurements sequentially
from the two meters and then stores then in a measurements file, along with
the temperature measurements from both meters.  The program works fine on
his Agilent and HP 3458As.

On my two 3458As, it takes the temperature measurements just fine but only
takes a voltage measurement from the Agilent unit.  The HP unit will not
make any voltage measurements although I can see both the 3458As in talk
states and, of course, it does sent the temperature measurements.  However,
if I turn the HP unit off and then on again, the HP will start to take
voltage and temperature measurements and send them to the PC.

Any ideas on what might be causing the strange behavior?

Thanks,

Randy Evans