[volt-nuts] Basic question concerning voltage references

Russ Ramirez russ.ramirez at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 13:46:24 EST 2017

I very much enjoy what is shared here. It has led me down the path of
learning more about Metrology in general and the pointers to Flukecal site
from here are appreciated.

My question is this. If I measured a 10 volt reference known to be good to
8 1/2 digits, but with the LSD being > 0, assuming a transfer standard with
traceability and documented uncertainties etc, would a 6 1/2 digit
voltmeter read 10.00000 volts, or round up to the limits of its AD
converter resolution; say X uV over 10.00000 volts?

I hope this is not too basic a question.

Russ