[volt-nuts] Datron 4700 manual and options

Fred pa4tim at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 12:55:03 EDT 2017

Hi Tod,

I just pulled that board (i think) and found a burned 22uF tantalum.
Tantalum caps should have a very long life unless used on the wrong
place. I guess this is an example. I do not even stock them, the last
bad one I had to replace was in a G&M secutest 2 years ago. ( I repair
around 10-20 Secutests a year and that was the only bad tantalum)

With what type/value cap did you replace them ?
I found the 4708 manual at KO4BB but that is a user manual without
schematics.

The calibrator should be OK but before I try to start her I always like
check things like caps, connectors, solderjoints etc. It really looks
like new, not even a scratch or dust. It came with a new looking HP8640
and a new looking HP counter 5248. Both from the same cal lab (part of a
company that stayed there) that cal-lab closed about 30 years ago, but
all gear stayed where it was (I already had received most of their gear
a few years ago). This were the last things because my friend retires.

Fred

.