[volt-nuts] Short term "standard" cell?

Frank Stellmach frank.stellmach at freenet.de
Sun Mar 12 12:56:00 EDT 2017

Hi Chris,

I remember getting an 1.5V mercury cell with a 4 1/2 digit DVM kit, so
that's about the level of stability you can achieve with such a battery.

Alcaline batteries, and so on, forget about it.

For a Fluke 332A, you need on the order of 5ppm uncertainty for a proper
adjustment of the 10V range, so all other "references" are just
gimmicks. Drift and T.C. are way too high.

The only reasonable reference from Joe Geller (about 5ppm uncertainty,
T.C. trimmed to near zero) is long gone, that's pityful.

Anyhow, a 10V reference alone is also not sufficient for calibration. In
general, you'll need linearity adjustment (requires a Kelvin Varley
divider like the 720A, or a 3458A ), and 100V and 1kV range adjustment
require a Reference Divider like the 752A, or again a 3458A.

Therefore,  instead of poking around with these mediocre 10V
"references", I'd look for a possibility to get access to a 3458A, maybe
there's a friendly volt-nuts nearby.

Frank