[volt-nuts] Short term "standard" cell?

Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Sun Mar 12 13:27:00 EDT 2017

On Sun, 12 Mar 2017 at 17:03, Frank Stellmach <frank.stellmach at freenet.de>
wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>

> Therefore,  instead of poking around with these mediocre 10V
> "references", I'd look for a possibility to get access to a 3458A, maybe
> there's a friendly volt-nuts nearby.
>
> Frank

There are a number of reference boards supposedly removed from 3458As on
eBay. Assuming they are non counterfeit (not necessarily a valid assumption
for items on eBay), how easy would they be to integrate into a box to make
a stable reference?

The LTZ1000A chip is about $50 new, but to make a stable reference you need
quite expensive resistors, so a used 3458A reference is attractive. But I
don't know if problems making low thermal EMF joints might totally ruin the
potential performance.

--
Dr. David Kirkby Ph.D CEng MIET
Kirkby Microwave Ltd