[volt-nuts] Neon bulbs for HP 3420B chopper.

george g_einst at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 16 19:40:47 EST 2017

Hi Dave

Try this link it may help you,  hpmemoryproject.org/an/pdf/an_911.pdf,  if you have problems with it Google HP AN_911.pdf (HP application Note).

In the 1960,s it was common for the behaviour of components to be "adjusted" for a specific manufactures requirements, in the case of the humble Neon this included the addition of radio active materials to them to "improve/lower/stabilise" the striking voltage.

You will probably have more joy at finding rocking horse manure than replacement Neons the work correctly.  I do not know if this is a restoration project or if you wish to use the differential voltmeter, if you wish to use it I would suggest that a replacement chopper be engineered using FET's.

73 George G6HIG