[volt-nuts] Best way to measure micro Ohms

acbern at gmx.de acbern at gmx.de
Sun Sep 17 15:12:45 EDT 2017

The question is what accuracy you need.
The classical way to do that (achieving high accuracy) is to apply a known accurate current (say 10A) and measure the voltage drop accross the rod with a nanovoltmeter.
As the piece of aluminum is isothermal you should not expect a big thermovoltage. You could also compensate for this by reversing the current and take the average, also by nulling the voltage reading prior to applying any current. Generating precisely known AC currents (low uncertainty) is difficult (i.e. measuring it precisely), therefore DC currents are ususaly used also in metrology for this.
If you do some internet search you will find metrology reports about this. If you do not have a nanovoltmeter you could build a measurement amplifier with not that much of an effort (based on chopper amp or low drif precision opamp)