[volt-nuts] Low noise reference

Randy Evans randyevans2688 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 11:07:20 EST 2018

Thanks for the feedback.  I don't think I am having problems with leakage
in the test setup, thermal, or shielding issues.  I used aluminum cast
boxes (Pomona 2391) which have BNC M and F connectors, which use teflon
insulators.  The cast boxes have enough thermal mass and not subject to
moving air currents, so it is unlikely that the wide voltage extremes, over
periods of a few to 10's of milliseconds, I am seeing are due to thermal
changes.  Also, I had a typo in the original message (I said pA when I
meant to type nA) in that the last sentence in the second paragraph should
read:  "and around 1 nA at 0.1V, but with widely varying leakage current of
0.5 to 1.5 nA, with occasional peaks of -0.5 to 2 nA.  This would equate to
about +/- 2 uV voltage variation across R1, making a 10 V 0.1ppm stable
voltage reference of questionable value."  the first sentence in the fourth
paragraph should also be referencing nA's.  Sorry about the brain lapse.

The wide variations in current through the 100uF cap-1Kohm resistor are my
main concern since I can't explain it.  It is absolutely not present in the
100 Mohm cal resistor in the same type aluminum cast box and is completely
stable.  I originally suspected interference but the cap-resistor and
calibration resistor are mounted in identical shielded boxes but the 100
Mohm cal resistor is clean and stable.

I suppose I need to bite the bullet and build the circuit and see how
stable it is.  I can check it with my two Fluke 732As and two HP-3458As.

Rrandall Evans