[volt-nuts] Any list members in UK who can accurately characterise a 732A and a 10K resistor

David C. Partridge david.partridge at perdrix.co.uk
Sun Jan 14 22:22:47 EST 2018

Guildline 9330 nominal accuracy 2.5ppm.

-----Original Message-----
From: volt-nuts [mailto:volt-nuts-bounces at febo.com] On Behalf Of Dr. David Kirkby
Sent: 14 January 2018 23:03
To: Discussion of precise voltage measurement
Subject: Re: [volt-nuts] Any list members in UK who can accurately characterise a 732A and a 10K resistor

On 14 January 2018 at 15:40, David C. Partridge < david.partridge at perdrix.co.uk> wrote:

> I've recently rebuilt a 732A and it seems stable, but what I don't
> know is its actual output voltage down to the last ppm
>
> I've also acquired a Guildline 3330 10K standard resistor but again
> don't know its value - my 3458A says it is 10,000.43 ohms which I find
> rather hard to believe (way out of spec.).

Is there a tight spec on the nominal value?

I can't find the specification on those from a Google search, but I thought the actual value was not very well controlled, but the stability is. So the fact it is 0.43 Ohms high, may not mean it is out of spec.

I would imagine there's a trade-off between getting the initial value correct and the stability. If you design the resistor for maximum stability, you may not be able to simultaneously get the value close to its nominal value. It you do things to get the nominal value better, they may degrade the stability.

> I know someone with a recently calibrated 3458A (Keysight Calibration,
> not accredited, not Loveland), but can anyone do better?  I'd prefer
> not to have a pay for a formal cal lab report on these.

A non-accredited Keysight calibration should be no less accurate than an accredited Keysight calibration.  From what I understand, the procedure is the same, but you just get a few extra words on the cal certificate if it is accredited - and pay quite a bit more. It costs Keysight money to be accredited, so they pass the costs of that onto people that need an accredited cal certificate.

I wonder what ones chances of going to NPL on their open-day (17 May 2018) and getting a measurement performed as a favor?  If you don't want an official cal certificate, but just a number you scribble on a bit of paper, you might be able to get it done free of charge. I know the lab with a primary voltage standard (Josephine Junction), was open to the public on the last open-day, which was in 2016. I don't think there was any lab open that measured resistors though.

> Thanks
> Dave

Dave