[volt-nuts] How can I make a 2000 V DC meter with an input resistance of at least 100 T ohms?

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Thu Mar 22 21:47:55 EDT 2018

On 23 March 2018 at 01:07, Bob Albert via volt-nuts <volt-nuts at febo.com>
wrote:

>  I found several electrostatic voltmeters on ebay.  The brand I remember
> is Sensitive Research.
> Bob

So something like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Singer-ESD-7-Sensitive-Research-Electrostatic-Voltmeter-1500-Volt-Range/122976453378

1500 V would probably do. I must admit, I don't understand how these work.
Do you need to have a power supply to balance the voltage? I can't see how
taking almost no current can physically make a meter needle move, as that
needs energy.

I see some are contact, and some non-contact.

It is 01:45 here, so I am just about to go asleep, but will read any
replies later today.

I would be interested in making a more modern version, but really don't
know how.

Dave