[volt-nuts] How can I make a 2000 V DC meter with an input resistance of at least 100 T ohms?

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Thu Mar 22 21:52:32 EDT 2018

On 23 March 2018 at 01:37, Jerry Hancock <jerry at hanler.com> wrote:

> The part I struggle with is “make one” as T ohm meters are ridiculously
> sensitive to things like fingerprints, for example.  I had a hard time just
> putting cables together that had the particular… I was going to say
> insulation, but it was more than that, basically everything is important
> and specific when you are dealing with T ohm meters.  Setting aside the
> stupid tri-bnc connector on most of them.

Yes, I can see these are tricky.

I wish my high-resistance meter had a triaxial BNC. It has a triaxial
cable, but screw on. I can't find out what the connector is.

> How about just using a voltage divider with a standard electrometer?  I’m
> sure you thought of that though.  I like playing around with my Keithley
> 616 as you can show the kids how electrostatics work.

I can't see how to use a voltage divider with the electrometer. If you know
how, please let me know. I don't have an electrometer, but will buy one.
Someone in the UK has one he is going to dig out the garage, so I will
probably buy that.

> Regards,
>
> Jerry

Dave