[volt-nuts] How can I make a 2000 V DC meter with an input resistance of at least 100 T ohms?

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Thu Mar 22 21:58:34 EDT 2018

On 23 March 2018 at 01:49, kc9ieq via volt-nuts <volt-nuts at febo.com> wrote:

> How about using (or building) an additional 2kV power supply and a
> sensitive meter movement like a differential voltmeter, adjusting
> for/measuring the null?  Impedance at null will be theoretically infinate,
> current will be theoretically zero, and you can measure/monitor the voltage
> of your second supply directly with the probe/meter of your choice.
> Regards,Chris

No, that will not work for me, as while the impedance at null is infinite,
it is not when not nulled, and that will mess up the measurements.

Absolute accuracy is not important. +/- 10% or even 20% would be okay. I
want to measure a couple of voltages and compare them. As long as the meter
reads the same with identical input voltages, that is fine.

Dave