[volt-nuts] Ayrton Shunt does double duty.

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Fri May 4 05:27:24 EDT 2018

On Mon, 30 Apr 2018, 20:02 , <geoelectronics at rallstech.net> wrote:

> Leeds and Northrup Ayrton Shunt box Model 2664.
>
> Modified to do double duty as a precision resistor standard.

I must admit I don't know what the purpose of the original unit is. Perhaps
as part of a bridge given the galvanometer connections.

I know when I was looking to check out my HP 4284A precession LCR meter
(basic uncertainty of 0.05%) I was able to buy some 0.005% resistors in
some values. I think if trying to build a precision resistance box I would
look for resistors better than the 0.03% in there.

I wonder if you could go to much lower resistance values if you used the
galvanometer connections as sense wires. But maybe you are using it in a
way I don't understand. I only have my mobile phone now, so are not going
to search the web for more information.

Dave.