[volt-nuts] Ayrton Shunt does double duty.

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Fri May 4 17:36:38 EDT 2018

The volt box is likely to be a voltage divider that was used to divide a voltage to be measured down to a value within the measurement range of a L & N potentiometer (not the 3 terminal component but the type that sets up the current in a series string of resistors to a known vale by comparing the voltage across a subset with the voltage of a standard cell. The unknown voltage can then be measured by comparing it against the voltage drop across a adjustable subset of the series resistor string).
They are mentioned in various NBS (NIST) publications of the era  as well as in various texts on dc electrical measurements. They were in common use up till around the 1980's.

Bruce