[volt-nuts] EU3458A - what appears to be a 3458A for sales in the European Union only.

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Mon May 14 08:01:20 EDT 2018

This struck me as a bit odd - an EU3458A 8.5 digit multimeter. I thought at
first that perhaps it had been re-engineered to use lead-free solder, but
on reading the description, that's not the case.

https://www.keysight.com/en/pd-2831253-pn-EU3458A/digital-
multimeter-8-digit-for-eu-sales-only?nid=-536902435.1217937&cc=GB&lc=eng

The Keysight website says

=======
Notice for European Union Customers: This non-RoHS product has been placed
on the market prior to the compliance deadline and continues to be made
available on the EU market under product numbers EU3458A / EU3458AX. Please
contact Keysight Sales for quotation and ordering. Keysight will continue
service and support for this product throughout worldwide support life.
=========

I can't see what is the point of giving it a new part number. But at least
is dismisses some of the myths that used 3458As would go up in value in the
EU, since it would be impossible to buy a new one.

I'm puzzled why option 002, an upgrade of memory to 128 kb, is still an
option one has to pay for. With the cost of RAM what it is now, I'm
suprised the memor is not not standard. Perhaps the only way Keysight can
provide 128 kb is to use old chips, as new ones are too large!

Dr David Kirkby Ph.D C.Eng MIET
Kirkby Microwave Ltd
Registered office: Stokes Hall Lodge, Burnham Rd, Althorne, CHELMSFORD,
Essex, CM3 6DT, United Kingdom.
Registered in England and Wales as company number 08914892
http://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/
Tel 01621-680100 / +44 1621-680100