[time-nuts] GPS clock to RT-Linux for pulsar machine

Matt Ettus boyscout at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 18:16:19 EDT 2005

> Thanks for the good advice, but I said that I was planning on using
> the maser for the ADC sampling clock, and the interrupt only for
> getting 1PPS into the computer.

I guess I didn't read carefully enough...

> As for radio astronomers and interrupts, my group is pretty good about
> using the appropriate method to get data into the computer. I do shake
> my head in wonder occasionally when I read how things used to be done,
> though.

I should point out that I consider myself a novice radio astronomer.
I've just been amazed at how much DOS is still used so that parallel
port lines can be set and/or read "real time" with data acquisition
systems.  I just got back from an RA conference where somebody was
insisting that computers can't handle more than about 1000 samples per
second, period.  This was despite the fact that I had just
demonstrated 16 MS/s continuous about half an hour earlier.

Matt