[time-nuts] GPS clock to RT-Linux for pulsar machine

Tom Van Baak tvb at leapsecond.com
Fri Jul 1 19:42:02 EDT 2005

> I should point out that I consider myself a novice radio astronomer.
> I've just been amazed at how much DOS is still used so that parallel
> port lines can be set and/or read "real time" with data acquisition
> systems.  I just got back from an RA conference where somebody was
> insisting that computers can't handle more than about 1000 samples per
> second, period.  This was despite the fact that I had just
> demonstrated 16 MS/s continuous about half an hour earlier.
>
> Matt

That's very interesting and reassuring. Of the many
PC's doing data collection and analysis here in my
lab, DOS is the only operating system that has
never crashed, never had a virus, and requires no
administration.

PHK - do you have any anecdotes on how well NTP
works under primitive OS's like DOS?

/tvb
http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/unix/