[time-nuts] Time-Nuts Wiki now available

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sat Jul 30 21:46:24 EDT 2005

HI David --

There's a bug (or more accurately, an unpleasant interaction) in the
combination of wiki software (moinmoin) and web server (apache with
mod-cgi) that I'm running that prevents second-level wiki names from
working without some special magic.  I haven't had a chance to implement
that magic yet...

The "BadContent" page is actually an automatic download that drives a
simple spam prevention system.  The page is read-only and is
automatically updated daily from a server.  There's really no harm in
having it visible, as the content can't be mucked with and it's all
publicly available from the upstream source.  I don't know how well it
works yet, but the reports from others are that it's at least modestly
helpful.  I'm hoping that the fact the wiki is set up to allow only
registered users to add or change pages will help, though that's far
from complete protection.

I gave up on my guestbook years ago when it got spammed by DeutschePorn,
and I ended up turning comments off on my blog (which I use as a lab
notebook -- http://www.febo.com/geekworks/blog) when the same thing
happened.  It's amazing how *anything* attracts spam.

By the way -- for anyone interested, all the febo.com stuff is
self-hosted and I use my ISP (Roadrunner) purely for bandwidth -- all
the mail, web, ftp and other services run on a bunch of Linux machines
in my basement.

John
----